Tomas Lim Sepulveda Jr.
Courses: Human Body Structure and Function (Med 512), Foundations of Clinical Medicine (Med 918), Research: Literature Review and Analysis (RLRA)
Dr. Tomas L. Sepulveda, Jr. is a licensed pharmacist and graduated with a Degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Pharmacy from the University of the Philippines, College of Pharmacy, Philippines. He is a licensed physician and obtained his Doctor of Medicine degree at the University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, Philippines and took his residency program in Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery in his alma mater. He also has a postgraduate Training in Maxillofacial Surgery in Universitatsspital Bern, Hopital Universitaire de Berne, Bern, Switzerland.
He has twenty three years of experience teaching Gross Anatomy, ENT Head & Neck Surgery and other disciplines. He taught in the Philippines for 7 years and in Bahrain, Middle East for 9 years and he has been teaching Gross Anatomy in SUSOM for 7 years now. He has held various positions in one of the top 5 medical schools in the Philippines as Gross Anatomy lecturer and laboratory professor, Problem based Learning Tutor, Module Design Coordinator, Student Adviser and Philippine Medical Board Lecturer. He also has skills in Curriculum Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation. Dr. Sepulveda spent seven years as a medical consultant specializing in Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and sub-specializing in Maxillofacial Surgery in a known hospital in the Philippines.
In 2005, he introduced Problem-Based Learning as a form of teaching strategy at a medical school in Bahrain, Middle East. In that university, he has held many academic positions such as Department Chair of Anatomy, Chair in different academic committees, a member of the Research Defense Panel and Associate Dean of the College of Medicine.
- Division Chair, Anatomical Division, SUSOM, 2016-Present
- Course Director, Human Body Structure and Function, SUSOM, 2016 – 2019
- Licensed Pharmacist
- Licensed Physician, Otorhinolaryngologist - Head and Neck Surgeon
- Gross Anatomy
- Otorhinolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Received the Overall Faculty Excellence Award for Fall 2017 given on October 2017 at Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Dutch Caribbean
- Received a citation as an Outstanding 1st Semester Faculty for Spring 2016, given on March 12, 2016 at Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Dutch Caribbean
- Received a Service Award for the 7 years of service rendered in the College of Medicine AMAIUB on December 7, 2012 at AMA International University Bahrain, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Received an award for garnering the highest mark in the Performance Appraisal System for Teachers (PAST) in the College of Medicine, AMAIUB on December 7, 2012 at AMA International University Bahrain, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Given a Certificate of Recognition for commendable performance as BEST TEACHER by garnering the highest mark in the Performance Appraisal System for Teachers (PAST) in the College of Medicine AMAIUB. Given on November 14, 2007 at the Gulf Air Club, Salmabad, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Comparative Study on the Inhibitory Effect of Honey (Apis sp.) and Mupirocin on Growth of Staphylococcus aureus: An In-Vitro Study, AMAIUB Research Journal, Kingdom of Bahrain, January 9, 2009, Volume 1, Number1, pages 26-28
- Strategy For Structuring The Curriculum in the Clinical Years For A Large Medical School, Journal of Medical Education, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 2002, Volume 6, Number 1, pages 75-78
- Laboratory Guide to Human Anatomy: An Integral Modular Approach 5th Edition, UERMMMC, Philippines, 2005.
- Topical Ciprofloxacin in the Management of Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media in Adults: Preliminary Experience in 40 Patients, The Philippine Journal of Otolaryngology –Head and Neck Surgery, Metro Manila, Philippines, January 1998, Volume 13, Number 1, pages 145-149
- His strong desire for success in research is to do an animal experimentation utilizing indigenous herbal plants in the area. With the advent of high cost of medicines at present time, he believes that these future investigations will revisit and strengthen the usefulness of herbal medicines to treat diseases.
- He is also interested to do systematic reviews of interventions regarding primary health care.
- Participated in the presentation of his research entitled “Strategy For Structuring The Curriculum in the Clinical Years For A Large Medical School” at the University of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Attended various conferences and seminars in the Philippines and internationally in Problem Based Learning, Bologna Process, Curriculum Planning and Evaluation, Curriculum and Faculty Development, Sensitivity and Hands-On Tutorial Training Using PBL, Test Construction and MPL setting, Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation, Student Assessment and Student Feedback, Internal Examination Moderation, Research Tools and Publications, Statistical Tools in Research, Medical Informatics, Computer Graphics and Multimedia: Animation in Power point, Introduction to SPSS, Basic Arabic and Medical Terminologies in Arabic, Problem Oriented Medical Records, Evidence Based Medicine, Developing Effective Interviewing Skills