Shamim A. Khan
MBBS, DLO, MCPS (ENT)
Professor, Human Body Structure and Function
Courses: Human Body Structure and Function (HBSF-Gross Anatomy)
Dr. Khan has 40-Years of experience working as a basic sciences and clinical teacher, researcher, consultant and surgeon.
His academic background includes many years as a university senior lecturer, as well as senior consultant clinical services. He has supervised a number of postgraduate students in training for ENT surgery and remained supervisor for their dissertation and thesis.
Dr. Khan’s clinical background includes; 10-years as General ENT Surgeon, 10-years as Rhinologist and FESS surgeon and next 10-years as Endoscopic Skull Base surgeon.
Dr. Khan has taught in four international Medical University Schools (Dow UHS-Karachi, USM and UniSZA-Malaysia and Anatomy department of McGill University Montreal Canada) prior to joining Saba. He Received his Skull Base surgery training from University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh USA.
Dr. Khan has performed administrative duties as head of various departments. One of his cherished achievements was the establishment of the ORL Unit in the surgical based department of Medical Faculty of University Sultan Zainal Abidin as a first Head of Unit.
Dr. Khan has had papers published in high impact journals such as Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, Orbits, Brunei Int Med J. 2010, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research.
Dr Khan has presented papers on many countries internal forums and has remained a trainer for a number of international workshops including, III World Congress for Endoscopic Surgery Of The Brain, Skull Base And Spine, Sao Paulo/Brazil, and Invited as international faculty, Department of ORL-HNS, McGill University Montreal and so on.
Dr. Khan is a member of many international academic associations including, American Association of Clinical Anatomist, Member Malaysian Association of Anatomist
American Academy of ORL-Head and Neck Surgery, Fellow and member
Malaysian Society of Allergy and Immunology (MSAI) – Member (Since 2005)
Malaysian Society of ORL-HNS –Life member, Malaysia Rhinology Society- Pro- Term Member for 2007, Pak-American Cultural Centre –Life member, Pakistan Society of ORL-HNS – Life member
- Cadaveric Anatomy
- Sinunasal and Midline Skull Base Region
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Bronchial Asthma
- Nasal Polyposis
Last five years:
- "Exceptional Professor of Worth Award” an appreciation from All Semester Students in Spring 2017.
- "Faculty Excellence Award - Semester 1- in April 2018 (Spring Semester 2018)
- "Faculty Excellence Award - Semester 1- in Dec 2018 (Fall Semester 2018)
- My Faculty evaluation by students Average is between 4.6 to 4.97 out of 5
- Administrative: Award & Certificate from Director State Health Services, Health Department Kelantan-Malaysia, in recognition of services provided to Hospital Kota Bharu in getting “Certified MS ISO 9002 and Accredited Hospital” (2000-2003) as in charge Incidence Reporting Committee.
- Academic: Letter of Appreciation from Dean, School of Medical Sciences, University Sains Malaysia, for best teacher (2005) awarded in 2006.
- Clinical Services: Received Award of RM1000 and Certificate for Excellent Service, for the year 2006 awarded in May 2007, by the Vice Chancellor University Sains Malaysia.
- “Best and Beloved Teacher Award” MMED ORL-HNS students Class of 2009/2010 at University Sains Malayssia.
- Main Author for book Titled: “Endoscopic Anatomy of Expanded Endo-nasal Approaches” ISBN: 978-81-910761-0-3 Published in 2012.
- Co-Author for book Titled as: “Sero Prevalence Of HIV In Pakistan” ISBN : 978-14-942331-0-5, Published in 04/2014; Create Space, USA
- Co-Author for book titled: “Abstract Book of Spinal Muscular Atrophy” ISBN: 9781312333048, Published 07/2014; Lulu, USA.,
- M.N. Natasya Naili, C.H. Hasnita, A.K. Shamim, J. Hasnan, M.I. Fauziah, M.Y. Narazah, A. James, S. Zulkiflee, M.M.T. Nidzam, B.A. Zilfalil “Chromosomal alterations in Malaysian patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma analyzed by comparative genomic hybridization” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics 203(2010) 309-312
- Mat Lazim , Irfan Mohamad, Ramiza Ramza Ramli Shamim Ahmed Khan, Thin Thin Win Safiya Yunus ,“Endoscopic removal of an extensive sinonasal schwannoma” Case Report Norhafiza Brunei Int Med J. 2010; 6 (3): 135-139
- Aijaz Ahmad Khan, Muzammil Ullah, Izhar Z, Shamim Khan "Anatomy of the cerebellopontine Angle - An Endoscopic approach" Journal of the Anatomical Society of India, January 2010
- Maharajah, Kodisvary R., Hussein, Adil, Mohamad, Hazama, Khan, Shamim A. and Liza Sharmini, A.T. (2009) 'Primary Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma of the Lacrimal Sac: Mortality-Related Epiphora' Orbit,28:5,306 — 308
- Singh GD, Rozihan MH, Nidzam MTM, Shamim AK, Samsudin AR, Suhaimi D: 3-D Reconstruction of Nasopharyngeal Airways in Malaysian Subjects. Biomed 06, IFMBE Proceedings Vol.15, pp. 8-11, 2007
18 more published papers may be found on Research gate
- Anatomy: General, Clinical and Surgical Anatomy Researches
- Rhinology: Endoscopic Skull Base surgery, Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Endoscopic Lacrimal Apparatus-Surgery
- Appraisal of Deep Neck Abscesses in Kelantan”, presented in 7th National Conference on Medical Sciences, at USM-Health Kampus, Kubang Kerian,Kelantan, 17th-18th May 2002.
- Oral Presentation: “3-D Nasopharyngeal Airway Analyses in Malay Subjects” in 10th Asian Research Symposium On Rhinology 29th -5th Dec.2005 at Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
- Oral Presentation: “Interesting cases of Petrous apex lesions:” Presented at the Department of Otolaryngology,University of Pittsburgh, Pennssylvania, at postgraduate seminar. Sept 2006
- Oral Presentation: “Evaluation Of Molecular Method In Detecting Fungal Etiology in Chronic Rhinosinusitis” in the 26th (ISIAN) International Symposium on Infection and Allergy of the Nose, 29th January to 6th February 2007 held at Shangriella Hotel , Kuala Lumpur
- Oral Presentation: “Endoscopic Approaches to Primary ‘Extradural ‘ Lesions Involving Petrous Temporal Bone” in the 26th (ISIAN) International Symposium on Infection and Allergy of the Nose, 29th January to 6th February 2007 held at Shangriella Hotel , Kuala Lumpur.
- “Screening of Malay Patients with Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC) Using Comparative Genomic Hybridization (CGH) Technique for Identification of Specific Genetic Alterations”, International Joint Symposium, Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia on 24-25 November 2008
Cadeveric Dissection Facilitator and Invited Speaker internationally a number of times as guest faculty.