MD, MS, MA, FACN
Courses: Clinical Skills; Systems and Diseases
Peter Pressman, MD, MS, FACN is an Assistant Professor at the Saba University School of Medicine. He teaches in the areas of Clinical Skills and Systems and Disease. He is also Director of Medical Operations at PolyScience Consulting in Chatsworth, California and a senior member of The Daedalus Foundation, which undertakes humanitarian missions and disaster relief initiatives. He is a graduate of Bowdoin College, the University of Chicago, and Northwestern University Medical School, and was trained at the University of Wisconsin and Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center.
After serving as Assistant Professor of Medicine, Director of Educational Programs of the Pacific Center for Health Policy & Ethics, and Associate Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program, all at University of Southern California/Keck School of Medicine, he attended at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Later, he deployed in the Developing World as a Naval Medical Officer. Pressman has been continuously active in both internal medicine and surgical education, focusing on special topics in nutritional support and toxicology. Pressman is a reviewer for the Journal of Food Science, the Journal of Food & Chemical Toxicology, The Journal of the American College of Nutrition, the American Journal of Medicine, the Journal of Cutaneous and Ocular Toxicology, and serves on the Editorial Board of Toxicology Research and Application. Through Summer of 2016, Pressman was the Aspire Food Group Visiting Scientist in the Horch Neuroscience Laboratory at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. He has served on the Food Additive Task Force of the International Special Dietary Foods Industries (ISDFI) along with distinguished scientists representing the European Union and from the Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University.
- Internal Medicine
- Nutrition & Food Science
- Reviewer for the Journal of Food Science, the Journal of Food and Chemical Toxicology, Journal of Cutaneous & Ocular Toxicology, The American Journal of Medicine, The Journal of the American College of Nutrition, and serve on the editorial board (Associate Editor) of Toxicology Research and Application.
- Scientific Advisory Boards and Consulting: include but not limited to - Bial Pharmaceuticals; Neuroventures, Inc; Malaysian Palm Oil Commission; Forever Living Aloe Products; Kemin Human Nutrition and Health; Stonyfield Kids and Baby Division; Califia Farms; Media relations, Inc., Health & Nutrition Division; Spherix Consulting; Merck & Cie KG, Abbott Laboratories, Aspire Food Group, and Philip Morris International.
- Peter Pressman, Roger Clemens, Thomas Blackburn and A. Wallace Hayes. A Commentary on Drug Safety and Genomics: Promising new agents may require expansion of guidelines for subject screening in clinical trials. Toxicology Research & Application, January 2021. DOI:10.1177/23978473211030653.
- José-Francisco Rocha, Ana Santos, Helena Gama, Paul Moser, Amílcar Falcão, Peter Pressman, A. Wallace Hayes, Patricio Soares-da-Silva. Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of FAAH Inhibitor BIA 10-2474: A Double-Blind, Randomised, Placebo-Controlled Study in Healthy Volunteers. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1002/cpt.2290.
- Peter Pressman, Wallace John Bridge, Martin Hani Zarka, A. Wallace Hayes & Roger Clemens (2020)Dietary γ-Glutamylcysteine: Its Impact on Glutathione Status and Potential Health Outcomes, Journal of Dietary Supplements, DOI: 10.1080/19390211.2020.1856266
- Hayes, A. Wallace, Peter Pressman, Paul Moser, and Patrício Soares-da-Silva. 2020. Regulatory safety pharmacology evaluation of BIA 10-2474. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods Available online 22 January 2020, 106677 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vascn.2020.106677
- Sreus A. G. Naidu, MS, PharmD , Roger A. Clemens, DrPH, FIFT, CFS, FASN, FACN, CNS, FIAFST , Peter Pressman, MD, MS, FACN , Mehreen Zaigham, BSc, MD, PhD , Kamran Kadkhoda, PhD, SM(ASCP), D(ABMM), D(ABMLI) , Kelvin J. A. Davies, PhD, DSc, MAE, FRSC, FRCP, FLS, FRI & A. Satyanarayan Naidu, PhD, FACN, FLS, FISSVD (2020): COVID-19 during Pregnancy and Postpartum:, Journal of Dietary Supplements, DOI: 10.1080/19390211.2020.1834049
- Sreus Naidu, Roger Clemens, Peter Pressman, Joris Messens, Mehreen Zaigham, Kamran Kadkhoda, Kelvin Davies, R Stuart Fowler and A. Satyanarayan Naidu. (2020): "Pathobiology of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) at Maternal-Fetal Interface," Journal of Dietary Supplements, https://doi.org/10.1080/19390211.2020.1834049
- Carr J. Smith, Thomas A. Perfetti, Sir Colin Berry, Douglas E. Brash, James Bus, Edward Calabrese, John R. “Jack” Fowle III, Helmut Greim, Jim MacGregor, Robert Maronpot, Errol Zeiger, Roger Clemens, Peter Pressman, and A. Wallace Hayes. “Bruce Nathan Ames – Paradigm Shifts Inside the Cancer Research Revolution,” Mutation Research/Reviews in Mutation Research,Volume 787,2021,108363,ISSN 1383-5742, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrrev. 2020.108363.
- Gray A, Dang B, Pressman P, Moore TB, Clemens, RA. "A Review of Nutrition and Dietary Interventions in Oncology," Sage Open Medicine, 8:1-16. DOI: 10.1177/2050312120926877. 2020.
- Pressman P, Berry C, Dayan A, Clemens R, and Hayes AW. “What If We’re Wrong and Why Aren’t We Talking About It? Flawed death certification risks flawed epidemiology” Annals of Public Health and Research, 7(1) 1089- 1091. 2020.
- Pressman P, Clemens R, Sahu SC, Hayes AW. A Review of Methanol Poisoning: A Crisis Beyond Ocular Toxicology, Journal of Cutaneous and Ocular Toxicology, 2020. DOI: 10.80/15569527.2020.1768402.
- Naidu AS, Pressman P, Clemens RA. Coronavirus and Nutrition: What is the evidence for dietary supplements usage for COVID-19 control and management? In Press: Nutrition Today 2021.
- Pressman P, Naidu AS, Clemens RA. COVID-19 and Food Safety: Risk management and future considerations. Nutrition Today 55:3, May/June 2020.
- Clemens R & Pressman P. Food and the Threat of Zoonotic & Phytoviral Spillover. Food Technology 1/2020.
- Tilakavati Karupaiah, Chuah Khun-Aik, Chinna Karuthan, Peter Pressman, Roger Clemens, A. Wallace Hayes, and Kalyana Sundram. 2019. A Cross-Sectional Study on the Dietary Pattern Impact on Cardiovascular Disease Biomarkers in Malaysia. Sci Rep 9, 13666 (2019) doi:10.1038/s41598-019-49911-6
- Pressman Peter, Roger Clemens and A. Wallace Hayes. 2019. Aloe vera at the Frontier of Glycobiology and Integrative Plant Medicine: Health Implications of an Ancient Plant. Sage Open Medicine 7: (First Published September 13, 2019/ https://doi.org/10.1177/2050312119875921)
- Hayes, A. Wallace, Peter Pressman, Jerry F. Hardisty, Stephen B. Harris, and Klaus Weber. 2020. Oral Repeated-Dose Toxicity Studies of BIA 10-2474 in CD-1 Mice. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol (Available online 19 December 2019, 104557). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2019.104557
- Internal Medicine
- Critical Care
- Nutrition & Food Science
- Keynote Lecture, “Scientific, Medical and Regulatory Landscape of Dietary Proteins” at the 67th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, August 23-27, 2021 in Kraków.
- Invited Guest Lecturer, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Global Medicine Program, Global Nutrition Course MEDS 567 2020-present. Guest Lecturer for Introduction to Food and Drug Toxicology RSCI 525, Spring 2021 in USC’s International Center for Regulatory Science.
- 2021 Southern California Food Industry Conference, “The Changing Landscape of the Supplement Industry Impacted by COVID-19: What Does It All Mean?” March 4-5, 2021.
- MPOC Palm International Nutracosmeceutical Conference (PINC 2021): “The Trend to Plant-Based Diets and the Contributions of Palm Oil to Biofortification,” 6-8 January 2021.
- Session Co-Chairs, Symposium on Toxicology of Electronic Nicotine Delivery and Vaping Systems: Knowns and Unknowns; presenter: “Medical Perspective on E-cigarettes and Vaping Products,” American College of Toxicology 2020 Annual Meeting, November 16, 2020.
- Symposium on Systems Biology, Bioinformatics and Biomedicine; Bioinformatics of Genome Regulation and Structure/Systems Biology-2020, Novosibirsk, Russia. “Dynamic Relationships between Gastrointestinal Microbes and Environmental Chemicals – Toward an Immunotoxicology of the Microbiome.” July 7-8, 2020.
- American College of Toxicology Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas. Invited to present in Symposium on Toxicology of Electronic Nicotine Delivery and Vaping Systems: “Medical Perspective on E-cigarettes and Vaping Products: Pathophysiology,” November 16, 2020: http://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/2020/04/30/coffee-consumption-where-is-the-balance/
- ASQ (American Society for Quality) Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Division in cooperation with the US Food and Drug Administration, Chicago District: Invited speaker on “Data Integrity,” Harper College, Palatine, Illinois, September 2019.
- ASN (American Society for Nutrition) Scientific Sessions and Annual Meeting 2019: “Cannabis and Neurodevelopment,” Baltimore, MD, June, 2019.
- IFT 2019: Invited Judge for “The Art of Science Translation” Competition, New Orleans, LA, June 3, 2019.
- IFT 2019: “CRISPR-Cas9: Clinical and Ethical Implications,” New Orleans, LA, June, 2019
- IFT 2019: “Cannabis: A Re-emerging Public Health Issue as Reflected in the Clinic – Therapeutics, Pathophysiology, and an Introduction to Endocannabinoids,” New Orleans, LA, June 2019.
- Scientific Advisory Board Presentations: “Prebiotics, Probiotics, and Synbiotics.” “Arginine in Human Nutrition,” and “Aloe Vera at the Frontier of Glycobiology and Integrative Medicine,” Stockholm, Sweden, May 2019.
- The Toxicology Forum 43rd Annual Winter Meeting January 2019: “Cannabis: A Re-emerging Public Health Issue as Reflected in the Clinic- Therapeutics, Pathophysiology, and Endocannabinoid Research and development,” Crystal City, Virginia, January 2019.
- “Great Debate” with Dr. Ryan Vandrey, Johns Hopkins University: “Legalization of Cannabis,” for the Risk Assessment Specialty Section, Society of Toxicology, Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD, February 2019.
- Food Technology Summit & Expo 2020, Mexico City. Invited to present on “Cannabis: Impact of Safety, Standards and Status in Cultivation and Consumption,” and “Alternative Dietary Protein Sources: Exciting or Empty Health Claims.” November 18-19, 2020
- University of Southern California Annenberg Media: Interview on caffeine withdrawal published as “Coffee Consumption: Where is the Balance?” April 30, 2020.