BSc, Med, PhD, PGCHET
Assistant Professor, Physiology; Course Director/Examiner, Systems and Disease III
Courses: HHP S&DI S&DII S&DIII S&DIV FOCM
Anthony Collins, PhD, has extensive experience working as an educator and researcher. His background includes many years as a university professor.
Dr. Collins has received extensive recognition as a national and international author and presenter. His research has been published in Science, Nature Neuroscience, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, the Journal of Physiology, the Journal of General Physiology, the Journal of Biological Chemistry, the European Journal of Physiology, Biochemical Journal, the Journal of Neuroscience, the Journal of Cellular Physiology, Molecular Pharmacology, FASEB Journal, PloS ONE, the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Toxicology Letters, and the Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives.
He has given invited lectures at the University of Bristol, the University of Leicester, Oregon Health & Science University, Dundalk Institute of Technology, and Trinity College, Dublin, and he has presented at numerous scientific conferences, including the Physiological Society, the Biophysical Society, Gordon Research Conferences, American Physiological Society, Life Sciences, the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland, the British Society for Cardiovascular Research, Experimental Biology, the Keystone Symposia, and the International Union of Physiological Sciences.
- Cardiovascular physiology
- Cellular and molecular physiology
- Membrane transport
- Molecular biology
- Volney C, Collins A, Adams S (2019). Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in the management of acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives 9:314-318.
- Edgar KS, Galvin OM, Collins A, Katusic ZS, McDonald DM (2017). BH4-mediated enhancement of endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity reduces hyperoxia-induced endothelial damage and preserves vascular integrity in the neonate. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 58:230-241.
- McGahon MK; Yarham JM; Daly A; Guduric-Fuchs J; Ferguson LJ; Simpson DA; Collins A (2013). Distinctive profile of isomiR expression and novel microRNAs in rat heart left ventricle. PloS ONE 8:e65809.
- Goldoni D; Yarham JM; McGahon MK; O’Connor A; Guduric-Fuchs J; Edgar K; McDonald DM; Simpson DA; Collins A (2012). A novel dual-fluorescence strategy for functionally validating microRNA targets in 3-prime untranslated regions: regulation of the inward rectifier potassium channel Kir2.1 by miR-212. Biochemical Journal 448:103-113.
- Seebohm G; Strutz-Seebohm N; Ursu ON; Preisig-Müller R; Zuzarte M; Hill EV; Kienitz MC; Bendahhou S; Fauler M; Tapken D; Decher N; Collins A; Jurkat-Rott K; Steinmeyer K; Lehmann-Horn F; Daut J; Tavaré JM; Pott L; Bloch W; Lang F (2012). Altered stress stimulation of inward rectifier potassium channels in Andersen-Tawil syndrome. FASEB Journal 26:513-22.
- Goldoni D; Zhao YY; Green BD; McDermott BJ; Collins A (2010). Inward rectifier potassium channels in the HL-1 cardiomyocyte-derived cell line. Journal of Cellular Physiology 225:751-6.
- Collins A; Larson MK (2009). Kir2.2 inward rectifier potassium channels are inhibited by an endogenous factor in Xenopus oocytes independently from the action of a mitochondrial uncoupler. Journal of Cellular Physiology 219:8-13.
- Collins A; Larson MK; Pfaff JE; Ishmael JE (2007). Survival of Swiss-Webster mouse cerebellar granule neurons is promoted by a combination of potassium channel blockers. Toxicology Letters 171:60-8.
- Pegan S; Arrabit C; Zhou W; Kwiatkowski W; Collins A; Slesinger P; Choe S (2005). Cytoplasmic domain structures of Kir2.1 and Kir3.1 show sites for modulating gating and rectification. Nature Neuroscience 8:279-87.
- Collins A; Wang H; Larson MK (2005). Differential sensitivity of Kir2 inward rectifier potassium channels to a mitochondrial uncoupler: identification of a regulatory site. Molecular Pharmacology 67:1214-1220.
- Collins A; Larson MK (2005). Regulation of inward rectifier K+ channels by shift of intracellular pH dependence. Journal of Cellular Physiology 202:76-86.
- Collins A; Larson MK (2002). Differential sensitivity of inward rectifier K+ channels to metabolic inhibitors. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277:35815-8.
- Ma D; Zerangue N; Lin Y-F; Collins A; Yu M; Jan YN; Jan LY (2001). Role of export signals in controlling surface potassium channel numbers. Science 291:316-319.
- Collins A; Chuang H; Jan YN; Jan LY (1997). Scanning mutagenesis of the putative transmembrane segments of Kir2.1, an inward rectifier potassium channel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94:5456-60.
- Collins A; German MS; Jan YN; Jan LY; Zhao B (1996). A strongly inwardly rectifying K+ channel that is sensitive to ATP. Journal of Neuroscience 16:1-9.
- Collins A; Hilgemann DW (1993). A novel method for direct application of phospholipids to giant excised membrane patches in the study of sodium-calcium exchange and sodium channel currents. Pflugers Archiv. European Journal of Physiology 423:347-55.
- Collins A; Somlyo AV; Hilgemann DW (1992). The giant cardiac membrane patch method: stimulation of outward Na+-Ca2+ exchange current by MgATP. Journal of Physiology 454:27-57.
- Hilgemann DW; Collins A (1992). Mechanism of cardiac Na+-Ca2+ exchange current stimulation by MgATP: possible involvement of aminophospholipid translocase. Journal of Physiology 454:59-82.
- Hilgemann DW; Collins A; Matsuoka S (1992). Steady-state and dynamic properties of cardiac sodium-calcium exchange. Secondary modulation by cytoplasmic calcium and ATP. Journal of General Physiology 100:933-61.
- Hilgemann DW; Matsuoka S; Nagel GA; Collins A (1992). Steady-state and dynamic properties of cardiac sodium-calcium exchange. Sodium-dependent inactivation. Journal of General Physiology 100:905-32.
- Hilgemann DW; Collins A; Cash DP; Nagel GA (1991). Cardiac Na+-Ca2+ exchange system in giant membrane patches. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 639:126-39.
- Li Z; Nicoll DA; Collins A; Hilgemann DW; Filoteo AG; Penniston JT; Weiss JN; Tomich JM; Philipson KD (1991). Identification of a peptide inhibitor of the cardiac sarcolemmal Na+-Ca2+ exchanger. Journal of Biological Chemistry 266:1014-20.
- Cassa di Risparmio di Padova e Rovigo (2015)
- Agence nationale de la recherche (France) (2014)
- British Heart Foundation (2014)
- Medical Research Council (2014)
- National Science Foundation (2004)
- Journal of Neurochemistry
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- American Journal of Physiology
- Circulation Research
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – Biomembranes
- Journal of Physiology
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Journal of Physiological Sciences
- British Journal of Pharmacology
- PLoS ONE
- Scientific Reports
- University of Southampton (2015
- Ion channels
- Ion transporters
- 3rd Annual Irish Next Generation Sequencing Meeting, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, June 2013.
- Smooth Muscle Group, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Ireland, November 2006.
- Center for Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, USA, October 2003.
- Ion Channel Group, University of Leicester, England, September 1994.
- Dept. of Physiology, University of Bristol, England, August 1991.
- Yarham J, Ferguson L, McGahon MK, Simpson D, Collins A. Changes in expression of inward rectifier potassium channels and microRNAs in cardiac hypertrophy. Physiological Society, Cardiff, 2015.
- McGahon MK, Lyndsey J Ferguson LJ, David A Simpson DA, Collins A. MicroRNA and isomiR expression profiles in a rat model of cardiac hypertrophy. Physiological Society, London, 2014.
- Ferguson LJ, McGahon MK, Daly A, Simpson DA, Collins A. Next-generation sequencing analysis of cardiac left ventricular tissue: microRNA and isomiR expression profiles in spontaneously hypertensive heart failure (SHHF) and Wistar-Furth (WF) rats. Keystone Symposium on RNA Silencing, Seattle, 2014.
- McGahon MK, Ferguson LJ, Daly A, Simpson DA, Collins A. miR-133a isomiR expression profiles in cardiac hypertrophy. Keystone Symposium on RNA Silencing, Seattle, 2014.
- Yarham J, Ferguson L, McGahon MK, Simpson D, Collins A. Functional targeting of the Kir2.1 3′ UTR by multiple microRNAs. 37th Congress of IUPS, Birmingham, 2013.
- Collins A, McGahon MK, Yarham J, Daly A, Guduric-Fuchs J, Simpson DA. Next-generation sequencing analysis of rat heart left ventricle: novel microRNAs, novel isomiRs and transmural distribution of microRNA expression. Experimental Biology, Boston, 2013.
- Goldoni D, Yarham JM, McGahon MK, O’Connor A, Guduric-Fuchs J, Edgar K, McDonald DM, Simpson DA, Collins A. Targeting of Kir2.1 and downregulation of inward rectifier K+ current by mir-212. Biophysical Society, Philadelphia, 2013.
- Yarham J, Collins A. Identification of a miR-212 target site in Kir2.1 3’ UTR by a novel dual-fluorescence microRNA targeting assay. Physiological Society, Edinburgh, 2012.
- Yarham J, Collins A. Identification of a miR-212 target site in Kir2.1 3’ UTR by a novel dual-fluorescence microRNA targeting assay. British Society for Cardiovascular Research, Belfast, 2012.
- McGreevy E, Collins A. Stability of Jurkat cell size in ATP-depleting and furosemide-containing media. Physiological Society, Oxford, 2011.
- Morris L, Collins A. Ouabain-induced caspase activity but not volume decrease is attenuated by 4, 4-diisothiocyanatostilbene-2, 2-disulfonic acid (DIDS) in Jurkat cells. Physiological Society, Manchester, 2010.
- McAvinchey O, Goldoni D, Collins A. Twinfilin-1 mRNA in isolated adult rat cardiomyocytes. Physiological Society, Dublin, 2009.
- Goldoni D, Collins A. Targeting of an inward rectifier K+ channel 3’ untranslated region by microRNA up-regulated in heart disease. Physiological Society, Dublin, 2009.
- Campbell DC, Collins A. Adaptation of CellProfiler software for high throughput measurement of cell size in phase contrast images. Physiological Society, Dublin, 2009.
- Goldoni D, Collins A. Evidence for inward rectifier potassium channels in HL-1 cells. British Society for Cardiovascular Research, Oxford, 2009.
- Goldoni D, Collins A. HeLa genomic DNA contains a putative SNP in a miRNA target site in the 3’UTR of the inward rectifier potassium channel Kir2.1. Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland, Dundalk, 2008.
- Collins A. Inhibition of inward rectifier potassium channels by a mitochondrial uncoupler is reversible in intact cells but not (despite run-up) in inside-out patches. Life Sciences, Glasgow, 2007.
- Collins A, Larson M, Pfaff J, Ishmael J. Protection of Swiss-Webster mouse cerebellar granule neurons by potassium channel blockers. Physiological Society, London, 2006.
- Collins A. An endogenous inhibitor of inward rectifier potassium channels? Physiological Society Bristol, 2005.
- Collins A, Wang H, Larson M. Mutational analysis of Kir2 channel sensitivity to carbonyl cyanide p-trifluoromethoxyphenylhydrazone. Biophysical Society, Long Beach, 2005.
- Collins A, Larson M. Regulation of inward rectifier K+ channels by apparent shift of pH dependence. Biophysical Society, Baltimore, 2004.
- Collins A, Larson M. Effect of metabolic inhibitors and internal pH on inward rectifiers. Biophysical Society, San Antonio, 2003.
- Collins A. Temperature dependence of Kir2.1 gating. Biophysical Society, San Francisco, 2002.
- Collins A. Attempts at identification of inter-domain interactions within an inward rectifier potassium channel. Biophysical Society, New Orleans, 2000.
- Biophysical Society, Baltimore, 1999.
- Collins A, Jan YN, Jan LY. A crosslinking strategy for studying an inward rectifier. American Physiological Society, 1999.
- Biophysical Society, New Orleans, 1997.
- Biophysical Society, Baltimore, 1996.
- Biophysical Society, San Francisco, 1995.
- Biophysical Society, New Orleans, 1994.
- Collins A, Zhao B, Jan LY, Jan YN. Characterization of an inwardly rectifying potassium channel cloned from a hamster insulinoma cell line. Physiological Society, Aberdeen, 1994.
- Biophysical Society, Washington D.C., 1993.
- Gordon Research Conference on Ion Channels, Tilton, NH, 1992.
- Biophysical Society, Houston, 1992.
- Physiological Society, Edinburgh, 1989.